Practitioner / consultant
No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
With innovation at the core of all we do, every challenge starts with the same question. How can we do it better? This restless spirit runs right through McLaren Automotive. And the search for perfection is evident in everything we do.
To ensure McLaren Automotive continues its desire to be “the sportscar company”, we are looking for an Aerothermal Engineer to join our team.
Purpose of the Role
You will be responsible for the aerodynamic development of our road cars using a combination of CFD, wind tunnel and mule vehicle testing to investigate concepts and complete design validation against programme targets. You will also develop CAE methodologies to aid concurrent engineering of our highly integrated road cars.
This role is part of the Aerothermal department which likes to support an innovative and collaborative atmosphere therefore we are interested in a diverse background of talent and experience.
- Use a mixture of CFD, wind tunnel and mule testing methods to develop the vehicles aerodynamics to meet programme targets for down force, drag, thermal heat transfer and the airflow through radiators, brake ducts and HVAC ducts
- Work in continual collaboration with Styling, Concept Design Engineers and Functional Groups to develop feasible and innovative solutions for meeting programme targets
- Communicate aerodynamic progress and critical issues to programme management and the Chief Engineer
- Support continual development of the departments methodologies to reduce design times, improve accuracy and increase the level of cross-function/attribute design integration
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- First-rate Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering degree
- Strong understanding in aerodynamic fundamentals
- Creativity and ability to develop ideas from first principles
- Knowledge of the CFD technique with excellent understanding of modelling requirements for external aerodynamics – STARCCM+ preferred
- Experience in wind tunnel and/or mule vehicle testing and strong understanding of measurement methods and data post processing
- Experience in freeform surfacing using a 3D CAD system – CATIA V5 preferred
- Relevant Automotive experience of high-end or niche vehicles of benefit, however not essential
- Quantitative rigor and an inquisitive outlook to prove design solutions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Independent and intrinsically self motivated
Practitioner / consultant
Chertsey Rd, Woking GU21 4YH, UK
Woking , United Kingdom