Position Status: Non-exempt, Part-Time
Position Summary: The Client Support Specialist is responsible for the reliable operation of the University’s end-user computing systems, including desktop and laptop computers, as well as mobile devices, printers, etc. The Client Support Specialist provides hardware and software support and training to end-users and also maintains documentation of systems and procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Effectively manage end-user hardware and software. Configure, install, maintain, and troubleshoot. Ensure updates and patches are applied in a timely fashion.
- Develop and provide training for end-users.
- Ensure that service requests are handled in a timely and efficient manner.
- Inform end-users of current threats from malicious software and “social engineering” and what the best practices are to avoid them.
- Train student worker technician(s). Develop their abilities and skills.
- Develop and maintain documentation of system configurations and operational procedures. Cross-train others within team and the IS department.
- Research and make recommendations on hardware and software purchases.
- Maintain an accurate and current inventory of all end-user technology equipment, ensuring all hardware is tagged with HIU identification and tracked by location.
- Store software media, packaging, and manuals in a central location.
- Ensure that software is properly licensed before installation and report license usage to proper IS personnel.
- Schedule regular software maintenance, including security update as well as regular hardware inspection and maintenance.
- Adhere to departmental and University policies and procedures.
- Maintain professional knowledge and skills. Participate in relevant professional organizations, formal training, user groups, and conferences as appropriate. Travel as required.
- Stay abreast with current trends and developments in hardware, software, Internet technologies, threat vectors, and other areas related to sphere of responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To fulfill this role successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education/Experience: High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree or higher relevant to MIS or Computer Science strongly preferred. A minimum of three years of general PC usage is required and a minimum of two years of computer hardware and software troubleshooting experience in a business environment. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge/Skills: Must possess strong analytical, logical, and problem-solving skills, be an effective communicator, written and verbal, across all segments of the organization. Possess in-depth knowledge of computer hardware and peripherals as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh operating systems and software such as Microsoft Office. Posses a solid understanding of Microsoft networking in an Active Directory environment as well as and understanding of prevalent Internet technologies. A solid understanding of current technological and sociological threat vectors (viruses, spyware, phishing, social engineering, etc) is also required. Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment, demonstrate a spirit of service and willingness to assist others to the best of ability. Must have the ability to remain professional at all times and maintain a high standard of integrity. Demonstrate an initiative and a willingness to learn; able to quickly grasp and master new skills. The ideal candidate will be well-organized, able to manage projects, resources and information and able to function independently within established job responsibilities and parameters. Possess a valid Driver’s License, auto insurance, and a suitable vehicle for travel to remote sites. Must be able to effectively and efficiently troubleshoot and provide support over the telephone and using remote support tools.
- Character: Must embody Christian character and be actively involved in a local church.
- Mental Demands: Able to operate well in a “busy” environment where multiple conversations/activities may be occurring at one time.
- Visual Demands: Long hours of viewing computer monitor screens.
- Physical Demands: Able to lift, grasp, stoop, and carry up to thirty pounds, as required.
- Environment: IT offices. Fluctuating noise levels from computers and network hardware, discussions, and guests.
The above position description is intended to outline the general nature and level of work performed by people in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
Contact InformationTake the Next Step
Mid-level industry position
Fullerton , United States