Job Type: Permanent
Contract Duration: Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a highly-motivated and proactive individual to join our new Competitor Intelligence team, the objective will be to derive the maximum understanding from all facets of competitor activity and use that to help to drive insights and understanding that are then feed back into our design, development and performance activities.
You will need to be able to use your own initiative, work cooperatively with a range of stake holders and deliver analyses within strict timelines in a demanding yet rewarding environment.
Role Description & Responsibilities
The objective of the role is to contribute intelligence insights that will assist performance and development decision making throughout McLaren. The ability to close the loop in terms of engineering understanding obtained from competitor activities will enable us to speed up our learn-develop-race loop providing McLaren with a competitive advantage.
- Responsible for data analysis and interrogation generated through custom toolsets from a diverse range of data types (examples: images, video, gps, web, car data and simulation).
- Being responsible for a range of competitor intelligence analyses and reports.
- Provide sound engineering insights and conclusions, through concise reporting and visualisations.
- Opportunity identification through detailed engineering understanding and trend analysis.
- Helping to improve capability through conceptualisation and development of new tools and methodologies.
- Working closely with all other areas of the team, in various situations, including but not limited to, Race Engineering, Vehicle Performance, Aerodynamics, Design and Team Management.
- Some flexibility is required for weekend work providing post-session analysis reports for engineering and management.
The following attributes are required for this role:
- An intelligent, data-driven approach to solving new and challenging problems, with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to conduct new types of analysis, in an unbiased manner.
- Identify, collect, interpret, analyse and evaluate data and information from a variety of sources and turn it into intelligence.
- Produce reports on your findings and include your recommendations on the next stages of analysis or development.
- Be good at juggling the competing demands of multiple projects.
- Ability to work within a high-pressured environment, delivering results quickly and efficiently.
- The ability to learn and develop skills on the job, as well as to apply existing skills to new types of problems.
- The desire for continuous improvement in both our analysis and our methodology/tools.
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional, fast paced environment.
- Ability to understand and communicate issues at multiple levels, from validating detailed work to explaining the implications of analysis results to executives.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A numerate degree (preferably engineering, mathematics or the sciences) with a minimum of a 2:1 (or equivalent).
- A strong mathematical and data-driven approach.
- Some data analysis experience utilising Atlas, Toolbox, Motec, WinDarab or similar.
- Familiarity with vehicle simulation would be beneficial.
- Some coding/software engineering interest/experience would be useful (particularly useful are: MATLAB, python, VBA, web (ideally Node.js) and C#).
- Previous experience in motorsport is desirable, but not required.
Junior industry position
Woking , United Kingdom