At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join CERN!
You will join a team of software developers and Radio Frequency specialists in commissioning the restart of the RF acceleration systems of the Large Hadron Collider and the Super Proton Synchrotron. Your responsibilities will be to:
- Develop, commission and maintain software suites in Python for setting-up of the feedback and control loops driving the RF systems in the SPS and the LHC as well as in the superconducting cavity test-stands and the crab cavity installations in the SPS.
- Develop high-level applications for expert RF measurements to be used operationally in the CERN Control Centre.
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State;
- You have a Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Development or related field;
- You have no more than 4 years’ experience after completing your highest diploma.
Essential skills and experience:
- You possess a good level of Python programming;
- You have experience in scientific programming in Python for modelling or data analysis.
Desired technical skills:
- Knowledge of control theory
- C++ programming
Please note that CERN Staff members are not eligible to apply for a Fellowship.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion.
In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract for between six months (minimum) up to a maximum of 36 months.
- A stipend ranging from 5,281 to 6,558 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva.
- 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
Your Life @CERN
Find out more here: https://hr-dep.web.cern.ch/content/life-cern
This is how you can apply:
You will need the following documents to complete your application:
- A CV.
- A scanned PDF of your most recent relevant qualification.
We recommend to add two recent letters of recommendation, giving an overview of your academic and/or professional achievements. You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them to hand. You will also be provided with a link as soon as you have submitted your application to forward to your referees to upload their letters confidentially. Please note this must be done before the closing date.
All applications should reach us no later than 5 April 2020.
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents.