Practitioner / consultant
Job Title: Project Engineer – Powertrain systems
Department: Powertrain Systems
Reporting to: Principal Engineer
Purpose of the role:
Delivery of the technical definition & project / system engineering activities of powertrain integration components on all vehicle projects, from concept to series-development, ensuring all systems and components fulfil all the programme requirements (performance, attributes, cost & timing).
- Powertrain technical ownership of:
- Exhaust Systems and Components
- Insulation (Acoustic and Thermal) Systems and Components
- Sound Generation Systems and Component
- Responsibility for the delivery of owned systems to specific vehicle programmes including:
- Create and manage Technical Specification, FMEA, DVP, Vehicle / System level test specs
- Supporting delivery of products to meet Budgets & Expenditure, Timing & Delivery
- Planning & allocation
- BOM management & tracking
- Vehicle build & development support
- Attending key vehicle project meetings.
- Supplier liaison & management
- Contribute to Technology roadmaps
- BOM definition and management to include leading cost & weight reduction initiatives to deliver targets.
- Planning, monitoring and execution of project activities to guarantee project delivery in line with MDP and gateway deliverables.
- With the Principal Engineer and project Chief Engineers, support the design and development of the Systems to ensure optimised vehicle performance and delivery of key vehicle attributes.
- Establish and control system design, release (ETRS), development and validation plans in association with functional experts and in line with technical risk management processes.
- Establish and give direction on supply chain in association with function group buyers, SQA and logistics to ensure supplier nomination and delivery of components and systems on schedule for all phases of prototype, pilot, pre-production and production build.
- Ensure manufacturability and compliance with quality standards of all components and systems within the defined BOM.
- Review and manage the opening and closure of engineering concerns.
- Respond to requests for information or specification change with assessment of risk and cost.
- Co-ordinate DFM and FMEA activities to support project delivery.
- Preparation and presentation of material to support external and internal project status reviews.
- Management of suppliers to ensure delivery to required quality & cost in line with project timelines.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experienced in the delivery of Powertrain component & system engineering tasks from concept through to production.
- Experience gained in Automotive OEM or tier one supplier.
- Experience of component & system design and development within an APQP or similar framework including FMEA, component planning and PPAP.
- CATIA V5 2D/3D skills advantageous.
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products.
Qualifications and Training
Good-quality Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above, or equivalent qualification.
- A passion for high performance Powertrain engineering.
- Adopts a creative & thoughtful approach to concept design and solving engineering problems with good attention to detail.
- Excellent feasibility assessment skills including design for manufacture and DFMEA input
- A positive, proactive attitude with a high level of self motivation to deliver excellence.
- Well organised and independent – able to work constructively with minimal supervision.
- An engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone.
- A willingness to engage in debate and discussion.
- Empathy, a willingness to listen and see others’ points of view.
- Ability to communicate clearly with design and development groups
- Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally.
- Well organised and delivery focused – with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery.
- Capable of representing a world class automotive brand
- Able to deliver under pressure
Practitioner / consultant
Chertsey Rd, Woking GU21 4YH, UK
Woking , United Kingdom