Executive / senior industry position
No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
With innovation at the core of all we do, every challenge starts with the same question. How can we do it better? This restless spirit runs right through McLaren Automotive. And the search for perfection is evident in everything we do.
To ensure McLaren Automotive continues its desire to be “the sportscar company”, we are looking for a Senior Designer Engineer - TVM to join our team.
Purpose of the role:
Delivery of the technical definition & project / system design activities of vehicle components on current production vehicles as part of Total Value Management (TVM) strategy, ensuring all systems and components are designed to all the programme / attribute requirements.
- Support packaging, concept & styling feasibility studies and detailed design.
- Represent the department in design reviews and during test and development activities if required.
- Liaison with the rest of the design and engineering community, suppliers, manufacturing engineering and R&D team.
- Design components to meet cost targets while achieving challenging performance attributes and the lowest feasible weight.
- Coordinate design work to deliver timely design releases.
- Coordination of design activities carried out in-house and at suppliers.
- Build support (prototype and functional trials)
- Develop and specify GD&T data set on CAD models or drawing taking into account all inputs from parts suppliers, assembly processes and DM studies.
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Strong passion for automotive design and development
- Sound understanding of mechanical design fundamentals
- Good material knowledge, with emphasis on high performance and lightweight materials
- Good understanding of manufacturing process & technologies
- Knowledge of assembly processes
- Good understanding of bolted and bonded mechanical joints design
- Good understanding of GD&T standards
- Experience of high and niche vehicle (low volume) programmes
- Knowledge of CATIA V5 is essential
- Understanding of FE analysis technique to drive structural design and its optimization is essential.
- Experience of CATIA V5 CPD or experience on equivalent composites design toolboxes would be beneficial.
- Experience of best drawing and modelling practises or methodologies would be beneficial.
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products
- Ability to conduct DFMEA would be beneficial
Qualifications and Training
Good-quality Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above, or equivalent qualification.
- A passion for high performance engineering.
- Adopts a creative & thoughtful approach to concept design and solving engineering problems with good attention to detail.
- Excellent feasibility assessment skills including design for manufacture and DFMEA input
- A positive, proactive attitude with a high level of self motivation to deliver excellence.
- Well organised and independent – able to work constructively with minimal supervision.
- An engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone.
- A willingness to engage in debate and discussion.
- Empathy, a willingness to listen and see others’ points of view.
- Ability to communicate clearly with design and development groups
- Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally.
- Well organised and delivery focused – with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery.
- Capable of representing a world class automotive brand
- Able to deliver under pressure
Executive / senior industry position
Chertsey Rd, Woking GU21 4YH, UK
Woking , United Kingdom