Practitioner / consultant
Senior Engineer - Power Battery Systems
When our founder Bruce McLaren passed away at the age of 32 he left behind a legacy that has shaped who we are today. We have an unrivalled heritage which has its roots in racing; but McLaren Automotive is now creating a story of its own and we want you to be a part of it.
As part of our Track25 business plan we will launch 18 new models or derivatives of our vehicles and look to expand our retailer network into new markets with an aim of having 100 retailers globally.
Track 25 and McLaren Automotive’ s growing reputation is testament to our world class employees. To ensure McLaren Automotive continues to be at the forefront of the Automotive market, we are looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Electric Drive Technology team
Purpose of the Role:
To design, engineer, integrate & deliver, from concept to production, Power Battery Systems (batteries with a focus on high power), ensuring that they fulfil all the programme requirements (cost, timing, performance / function / attributes).
- Detailed ESS knowledge and experience, particularly high power batteries.
- ESS attribute delivery/support, managing releases, specifications, DVPs, DFMEAs, QCRs
- ESS ownership and delivery
- ESS assembly planning and allocation
- ESS simulation (where required)
- ESS Supplier management
- Design-focused vehicle level meetings for ESS integration
- Guarantee ESS delivery to all vehicle projects – to specification, on time and on budget.
- Understand and support the package constraints for the ESS. Work with ESS suppliers, McLaren Concept team & Digital Mock-Up team (DMU), Dimensional Management team (DM) and other Engineering teams to ensure programme-specific ESS meet technical and package targets.
- Establish links and deliver projects with external organisations such as universities and research organisations, that will help McLaren deliver innovation in ESS technologies. Collaborate with the Engineering Manager/Principal Engineer of ESS and Head of Electric Drive Technology (EDT) to ensure such projects are aligned with the ESS Technology Road-map, and produce vehicle project-relevant results.
- Working within, and influence, the Vehicle Programme & Engineering Management teams to ensure that the EDT department responsibilities collectively deliver the whole vehicle targets.
- Guide ESS designers to deliver detailed designs on time, to predetermined quality, cost and weight targets, within Design for Manufacture (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) constraints
- Work with the designers and suppliers to achieve efficient, innovative and lightweight designs.
- Ensure design solutions deliver systems that meet attribute targets such as NVH, thermal, durability, performance (power, emissions, and response).
- Works with Supply Chain Management to ensure delivery of the ESS on schedule for all phases of prototype, pilot, pre-production and production build.
- Prepare and present material to support external and internal project status reviews
- Undertake ESS technical risk management to ensure project delivery, optimised vehicle performance and delivery of electric drive system attributes.
- Guarantee ESS ownership and delivery to the specific vehicle programme requirements including:
- ESS and Sub-System Specifications which specify integration requirements for ESS with other Electric Drive System (EDS) components and vehicle systems.
- Lead ESS FMEA and DVP, and support Electric Drive System FMEA and DVP. Support Vehicle / Electric Drive System level test specifications.
- Support line-management to define ESS development budgets & expenditure
- ESS planning, timing & delivery including design, release, Engineering Records (ERs) in line with ETRS requirements, development and validation plans
- ESS BOM management & tracking
- Robust resolution of engineering concerns
- Ensure support of vehicle build & development for ESS
- Deliver ESS for all projects in line with MDP (McLaren Development Process) and ensure that Project Management KPIs are on track
- Support calibration of the Battery Management System (BMS)
Knowledge, skills and experience
- A high level of technical knowledge & experience of ESS design, test & production delivery
- Experience in Mechanical, Electrical and Thermal ESS design, packaging & release
- Experience in the behaviour and characterisation of electro-chemical cells
- Good CATIA V5 2D/3D skills with GD&T application experience
- Integration of ESS embedded systems such as Battery Management System (BMS)
- Detailed understanding of Li-Ion technologies, Ultra/Supercapacitor storage solutions, BMS, Functional Safety and High Voltage Switchgear design
- Experience in cell, module and pack testing to facilitate data gathering and analysis
- Experience of testing with HiL (Hardware in the Loop) and Rig systems to prove integration of electric drive systems and other sub-systems.
- Experience of delivering DVP, FMEA and DFM for ESS
- Experience of control-system software-flashing, data recording/viewing and calibration tools
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products.
- Experienced in OEM or tier one component delivery
Qualifications and Training
- Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above
- Technical expert in high performance Energy Storage System (ESS) engineering
- Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally with excellent communication skills.
- 4-5 years automotive design and development experience
- Logical and methodical approach to problem solving.
- An ability to deliver under pressure with an appetite for measured success.
- A passion for high-performance ESS engineering.
- Collaborative working with people with a diverse range of backgrounds.
- A positive, proactive attitude with a high level of self-motivation to deliver excellence.
- Ambitious and self-reliant - intrinsically self-motivated.
- Well organised and delivery focused – with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery.
- Capable of representing a world class automotive brand
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some less major duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
Practitioner / consultant
Chertsey Rd, Woking GU21 4YH, UK
Woking , United Kingdom