Genomic Health is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to be part of the Infrastructure and Operations team. Primary responsibility includes design, implementation, support and administration of on-premise and in the cloud infrastructure, comprised of Compute, data storage, networking gear and archiving, to support on-going projects and layout the cloud roadmap for the future in a regulated health-care environment. The candidate will work with a team of IT Infrastructure and Operations (I&O) experts and in collaboration with software developers to design and implement standardized complex IT solutions. The ideal candidate will have experience working with cloud computing resources and automation as well as a systems engineering approach and strong logic skills. The on-premise infrastructure is a mix of Linux/Windows.
· The candidate is required to possess current knowledge of a wide range of emerging / leading edge technologies and have the technical expertise to provide support for technological solutions for complex business challenges. You will be part of Architecting and delivering real-world end to end solutions to improve turnaround time in provisioning hardware and software solutions. Think big and think efficient. You'll be responsible for thousands of servers, so you'll need to be accomplished at automating time-consuming tasks.
The position will report to the Associate Director of the I&O Team.
RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES:
· Collaborate with the Infrastructure team and Architecture to formulate and carry out the strategic plan for automation and cloud builds
· Work with internal and external customers to assist in the development of Systems Architecture designs for API based communications between on-premises and IaaS, PaaS / SaaS cloud-based systems.
· Develop automation solutions for infrastructure build and system management activities across platforms (Infrastructure-as-code, the orchestration of scripted processes (Python, Ansible, PowerShell etc). Implement and maintain workflow process automation scripts and procedures to ensure results consistency.
· Drive improved time-to-Value using automated, consistent and self-documenting processes
· As a part of this duty, it will be required to effectively communicate the enforcement of the policies and standards while maintaining a highly professional and friendly attitude. Strong communication and interpersonal skills will be required for success.
· Serve as a technical leader, engaging with software developers, DevOps, and infrastructure engineers to capture and implement requirements.
· Provide second level support to the internal business units. Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and application issues, networks, file system access, etc. Ensure continuous proactive monitoring of computer systems related to and supporting the core businesses of the company.
· Provide the IT business customers with IT advice and recommendations including participation in the internal development process by proposing suitable and cost-effective IT solutions.
· Provide support and administration for the company's on-prem and cloud environment.
· B.S. in Computer Science, IS/IT or equivalent education and experience.
· 11+ years of IT systems engineering/administration and support. 6+ years of experience in Linux/UNIX and data storage design, support and administration. 4+ Years of experience in cloud solutions delivery
· Experience creating architectural documentation and diagrams (Functional Specifications, Design Specifications, Test Plans / Results, Architectural diagrams in Visio or EA Sparx.
· Industry experience working with Cloud Automation at a large enterprise (Azure and/or AWS preferred)
· Experience architecting, deploying, and administering systems in the AWS and/or Azure cloud. Strong knowledge of cloud security best practices.
· Experience with centralized configuration management systems such as Chef, Puppet.
· Experience with server hardware and software technologies - file, FTP, storage/RAID systems, backup and archiving (enterprise level high-performance libraries), etc. Deep knowledge and understanding of server and storage hardware specifications.
· Data center experience creating rack diagrams, estimating power and cooling loads, planning deployments.
· Experience with formal SDLC and following change control processes.
· Ability to learn new technologies quickly. Excellent technical research, troubleshooting, and analytical skills (finding and implementing non-trivial solutions plays a big role in this position). Excellent verbal communications and interpersonal skills. Excellent writing skills in design documents and support procedures. Ability to communicate difficult IT concepts effectively to less IT savvy users
· Ability to work with little supervision and pro-actively proposing IT infrastructure improvements.
· Experience with enterprise ticketing systems.
· Willing to acquire new skills, multitask and work on projects outside of an immediate area of expertise. Strong desire and ability to work as a team player.
· Cloud Certified Architecture and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) Administration would be plus
Executive / senior industry position
Redwood City , United States