We offer a Tenure Track Assistant Professor (AP) position within the Computer Vision group (CV), part of the Informatics Institute (IvI) at the University of Amsterdam (UvA).
The Computer Vision group is headed by Prof. Dr Theo Gevers and conducts research in image understanding. The CV group participates in teaching for the international (research) Master Artificial Intelligence and contributes to various Bachelor and Master programmes within the IvI, the UvA and the Amsterdam University College.
The Informatics Institute of the Faculty of Science invites applications for a fully funded tenure track position in the field of computer vision and graphics. The research focusses on how to integrate the real and virtual world to enable realistic (real-time) rendering of 3D worlds for efficient and natural interaction (e.g. augmented and virtual reality). Research topics include, for example, the following: advanced SLAM, camera tracking, dense 3D reconstruction, graphics, photometric synthesis, image intrinsics, realistic inpainting, 3D simulations, 6 DoF object pose estimation, hybrid fusion, motion synthesis, semantic segmentation, and facial animation. All topics are based on 3D geometry (e.g. multi-view stereo and tracking) and/or machine learning (e.g. ConvNets and GAN’s). Applications areas are for example in augmented and virtual reality, 3D animation, 3D printing, gesture control, and HCI.
This tenure track project aims for high risk and visionary developments and exploration. An interdisciplinary approach is necessary as computer vision and graphics are merging topics between different research areas: physics, graphics, machine learning, and computer vision.
What do we require of you?
- A PhD in a relevant discipline (Computer Science, AI, Physics, Mathematics) and a proven record of high quality and diverse academic teaching, preferably at the Bachelor's-, Master's- and PhD-levels;
- solid publication record in fields related to computer vision or graphics, including internationally peer reviewed journals and/or books published by internationally recognized press;
- you excel in teaching and have a clear vision on education;
- ability to acquire research funding from external sources (e.g. Netherlands’ Organization for Scientific Research or other research councils, European Union, or other national and international funding agencies, personal grants such as in the Dutch Veni/Vidi/Vici scheme or the European ERC grants);
- demonstrated ability to promote outstanding and innovative research and foster research collaborations (with faculty, postdoctoral researchers and PhD candidates); demonstrated or budding academic leadership;
- adequate knowledge of Dutch, or the willingness to learn the Dutch language;
- in possession of the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification (or foreign equivalent), or willingness to acquire such a qualification within two years.
- T: +31 (0)20 525 7516
We offer a temporary appointment with a tenure track agreement for the duration of five years. You will be offered a permanent position after a positive assessment and evaluation.
The type of appointment is negotiable and depends on experience and scientific profile of the selected candidate. The committee will make an offer pending the vacancy and your experience and track record.
The full-time gross monthly salary of the assistant professor position (UD 2/UD 1) will range from €3,637 to €5,656 (salary scale 11-12, effective 1 February 2019), depending on qualifications and on the number of years of professional experience. The annual salary will be increased by an 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus, under the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO). A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
The Informatics Institute strives for a better gender balance in its staff. We therefore strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
You may send in your application no later than 1 March 2019 using the link below. Please upload the following information in a single PDF file:
- a concise statement of motivation (1 page maximum);
- a CV and list of publications;
- a statement outlining research plans (2 pages maximum);
- a statement outlining teaching philosophy (1 page maximum) and
- a list of three referees.
The single PDF can be uploaded in de field marked CV in the application form.
At this stage of the procedure, please do not send letters of reference or proofs of your academic writing.
Late or incomplete applications will be considered at the committee’s discretion. #LI-DNP
No agencies please
De UvA maakt gebruik van cookies en daarmee vergelijkbare technieken voor het functioneren, meten en optimaliseren van de website. Ook worden er cookies geplaatst om b.v. youtube filmpjes te kunnen tonen en voor marketingdoeleinden. Deze laatste categorie betreffen de tracking cookies. Uw internetgedrag kan worden gevolgd door middel van deze tracking cookies. Door op “Accepteer alle cookies” te klikken gaat u hiermee akkoord. Lees ook het UvA Privacy statement
Cookies noodzakelijk voor het basisfunctioneren van de website. Deze cookies worden bijvoorbeeld ingezet om het inloggen voor studenten en medewerkers mogelijk te maken.
Noodzakelijk & Optimalisatie
Cookies die worden geplaatst om anoniem gegevens te verzamelen over het gebruik van de website om deze te verbeteren.
Noodzakelijk & Optimalisatie & Marketing
Cookies die in staat stellen bezoekers te volgen en van gepersonaliseerde advertenties te voorzien. Externe advertentienetwerken verzamelen individuele gegevens over internetgedrag. Selecteer deze categorie om youtube videos te kunnen kijken.
Assistant professor / lecturer
Amsterdam , Netherlands