Practitioner / consultant
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a talented electronics technical engineer, passionate about test equipment development and maintenance? Do you have experience with electronics board testing? Are you comfortable in a collaborative environment aiming to improve quality and processes? CERN, take part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
You will be working within the Electrical Power Converter Group (SY-EPC), responsible for the power converters for the whole CERN accelerator complex, and the Operation Maintenance Support Section (EPC-OMS), whose members participate in the production, operation and maintenance of all the electrical power systems managed by the Group.
As a Test and Maintenance Technical Engineer, you will work in collaboration with the designers of the Group in charge of the design of the electronics boards and the responsible of maintenance activities.
- Define, in collaboration with the design team, the strategy for the repair of the electronics boards of the Group;
- Analyse the failure modes and give feedback to the design team to drive future designs;
- Participate in the evaluation of new electronics board designs to improve the troubleshooting capability helping in the repair process;
- Participate in the specification, development and management of test equipment for reception test and troubleshooting of electronic boards;
- Ensure proper documentation of equipment and process updates;
- Coordinate the team in charge of repair and troubleshooting activities for electronic equipments and participate in activities related to planning and priority definition.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electronics engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in electronics testing and related processes.
- Experience in electronics design and development.
- Experience in software development preferably in C++ using Qt Framework.
- Knowledge of Quality Control and Project Management principles and methodology is an asset.
- Knowledge of industry standard software for test automation as Test Stand and LabView or willingness to learn.
- Design and simulation of analog electronic circuits, in particular for test equipment.
- Design and simulation of digital electronic circuits, in particular for test equipment.
- Testing and measurement of analog electronic circuits.
- Testing and measurement of digital electronic circuits, in particular knowledge of FPGA firmware as part of the electronics testing.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Spoken and written English: the ability to draw-up technical specifications.
- Basic knowledge of French language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.09.2021 by noon.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-EPC-OMS-2021-101-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electronics Technical Engineer