Practitioner / consultant
Job Title: Transmission & Driveline Engineer
Reporting to: Principal Engineer Propulsion
No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
With innovation at the core of all we do, every challenge starts with the same question. How can we do it better? This restless spirit runs right through McLaren Automotive. And the search for perfection is evident in everything we do.
To ensure McLaren Automotive continues its desire to be “the sportscar company”, we are looking for a Transmission & Driveline Engineer to join our team.
Purpose of the Role:
Reporting to the Principal Engineer in Transmission & Driveline, responsible for engineering design and technical support to the delivery of transmission and driveline components on all McLaren vehicle programmes.
- Responsibility of components design, from concept to design development to delivery on time to McLaren transmission and driveline programs
- Liaise with external engineering organisations and suppliers to deliver designs to defined technical specifications in line with the Powertrain & Vehicle programme timing.
- Ensure the components interface seamlessly to the wider car including structural interfaces, aerodynamics and cooling systems.
- Actively participate in the internal technical design and analysis
- Technical knowledge to be developed in terms of detailed component and sub-system knowledge for all high-performance transmission components and sub-systems.
- Delivery of component and sub-system BOM, specifications, FMEAs and DVP and also cost, timing and quality targets. (in coordination with purchasing and SQE team)
- Support the function safety manager/controls team in the compliancy of the ISO26262 standard
- Technical assessment, integration and application of appropriate Powertrain technology.
- Support vehicle programme attribute owners with respect to development and reporting.
- Support design release in line with ETRS requirements
- Support the execution and evaluation of results of component testing and to support powertrain & vehicle development activities and vehicle manufacturing, launch & planning.
- Preparation and presentation of material to support external and internal project status reviews.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- CAD design skills (2D and 3D authoring) and strong GD&T application experience, preferably with CATIA V5
- Technical knowledge & experience of transmission & driveline design, test & production preferred.
- Experience in the definition/simulation of a transmission hydraulic system advantageous
- Experience in transmission controls system advantageous
- Experience in NVH analysis and measurements advantageous
- Experienced in OEM or tier one component delivery
- Component & system design within an APQP or similar framework including FMEA, component planning and PPAP
- CAE basic knowledge to support basic in house analysis like structural and crash analysis.
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products.
- Qualifications and Training
Mechanical or Automotive Engineering Degree 2:1 or above
- A passion for high performance powertrain engineering.
- Adopts a creative & thoughtful approach to concept design and solving engineering problems with good attention to detail.
- Excellent feasibility assessment skills including design for manufacture and DFMEA input
- A positive, proactive attitude with a high level of self motivation to deliver excellence.
- An engaging mind, open to new problems outside their normal comfort zone.
- A willingness to engage in debate and discussion.
- Empathy, a willingness to listen and see others’ points of view.
- Ability to communicate clearly with design and development groups
- Excellent communicator and ability to interact in a small, focused team
- Ambitious, and self reliant - intrinsically self motivated.
- Good team skills, willingness to work cross-functionally with excellent communication skills.
- Well organised and delivery focused – with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery.
- Capable of representing a world class automotive brand
- Able to remain focused under pressue
Practitioner / consultant
Chertsey Rd, Woking GU21 4YH, UK
Woking , United Kingdom