Faculty of Social Sciences
Vacancy number: 24.35.17
Application deadline: 3 September 2017
Given the rapidly growing number of students, the Artificial Intelligence department at Radboud University (Nijmegen, Netherlands) is seeking two assistant professors and one associate professor. As part of the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, the department has a distinct neurocognitive focus and close interactions with the computer science, neuroscience and psychology departments. The department’s ambitions are (1) to develop intelligent machines that show human-level performance in challenging real-world settings, (2) to understand the computational basis of the human mind and (3) to improve the interaction between humans and machines.
We seek candidates who conduct foundational research in AI (e.g. probabilistic modelling, neural networks, reinforcement learning, or multi-agent systems) and/or create innovative future technology (e.g. cognitive robotics, cognitive computing, data science, smart systems, brain-machine interfacing, or augmented/virtual reality) that has significant societal impact and will improve the way we live our lives.
You will be expected to:
- develop courses and conduct teaching at undergraduate and post-graduate levels;
- perform top-quality research in Artificial Intelligence;
- establish and execute an externally funded research programme;
- interact and collaborate with other researchers and specialists in academia and/or industry;
- be an inspiring member of our staff and have excellent communication skills.
Strategically located in Europe, Radboud University is one of the leading academic communities in the Netherlands. A place with a personal touch, where top-flight education and research take place on a beautiful green campus in modern buildings with state-of-art facilities.
Faculty of Social Sciences
The successful candidates will be embedded in the Donders Centre for Cognition (DCC), part of the Donders Institute, and the school of Psychology and Artificial Intelligence (AI), both part of the Faculty of Social Sciences. The Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour is home to more than 700 researchers from 35 countries who collaborate in an open community and share the goal of contributing to the advancement of the brain, cognitive and behavioural sciences through investigator-driven research, and improving health, education and technology by applying scientific insights. The objective of the assistant/associate professorships is to develop state-of-the-art AI research of international standing and to contribute to the teaching, guiding students to grow in insight, skill set and future perspective. The AI department has access to excellent facilities such as a computing cluster, robot lab, a virtual reality lab, brain imaging (EEG/MEG/MRI/TMS), behavioural labs, and a technical support group. The Donders Institute is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community, and as such especially encourages applications from women and minorities.
What we expect from you
- a PhD degree in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Cognitive Science, Computational Neuroscience or a related discipline and several years of post-doctoral experience.
- excellent track record in scientific research, as evidenced by publications in academic journals.
- proven ability to provide inspiring teaching in English.
- Dutch university teaching qualification or the willingness to obtain one.
- experience in the acquisition of external funding and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- ability to work with others in a team.
What we have to offer
- employment: 1.0 FTE;
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- depending on your profile, you will be appointed as an Assistant Professor (maximum gross monthly salary of €4,757, based on a 38-hour working week, scale 11) or Associate Professor (maximum gross monthly salary of €5,861 based on a 38-hour working week, scale 13);
- the duration of the tenure track will depend on your expertise and experience;
- you will be classified as an Assistant Professor (Universitair docent) or as an Associate Professor (Universitair hoofddocent), Level 2 in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO).
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Marcel van Gerven
Telephone: +31 24 3655931
Telephone: +31 24 3616031
Faculty / asst. prof. / lecturer
Nijmegen , Netherlands