Choosing a course is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make! View our courses and see what our students and lecturers have to say about the courses you are interested in at the links below.
Each year more than 4,000 choose NUI Galway as their University of choice. Find out what life at NUI Galway is all about here.
About NUI Galway
Since 1845, NUI Galway has been sharing the highest quality teaching and research with Ireland and the world. Find out what makes our University so special – from our distinguished history to the latest news and campus developments.
Colleges & Schools
NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a range of key areas of expertise.
NUI Galway’s vibrant research community take on some of the most pressing challenges of our times.
Guiding Breakthrough Research at NUI Galway
We explore and facilitate commercial opportunities for the research community at NUI Galway, as well as facilitating industry partnership.
There are over 90,000 NUI Galway graduates Worldwide, connect with us and tap into the online community.
At NUI Galway, we believe that the best learning takes place when you apply what you learn in a real world context. That's why many of our courses include work placements or community projects.
Working with and in the law offers a wide range of interesting, challenging, and rewarding careers. Wherever you look, you will find legal issues and problems that need solutions developed by those with deep knowledge and skills. The LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) will provide you with this knowledge and skills along with the grounding that you need to take your future into the direction you decide, nationally or internationally.
- Clinical Placements are available with law firms, barristers, and a range of governmental and non-governmental organizations working to promote the public interest.
- Skills Development is an important element of this programme with a focus on critical thinking, analytical ability and professional writing skills.
- Tailored Programme allows students to choose the modules that interest them or will further their career goals.
- The Accredited Programme offers all the subjects currently required for the entrance examinations to the legal professions (solicitors and barristers).
- Moot Court provides an opportunity for students to develop skills such as advocacy, research and legal analysis skills.
- Expert Lecturers deliver this programme. Students also attend guest seminars from prominent practitioners, academics and judges.
- Diverse Modules range from European Union Competition Law, Intellectual Property Law, Consumer Law to Global Issues in Contemporary Labour Law.
- Career Support is provided through professional workshops concentrating on students’ CV and interview skills. Careers in Law Week also provides an opportunity to meet partners from leading law firms.
Applications and SelectionsWho Teaches this Course
- An approved university degree in any discipline at second-class honours level or above.
- In certain circumstances, an approved professional qualification or experience may be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- Those holding a law degree or who have studied law at third level may be granted appropriate exemptions.
- International students should refer to the country specific information section of the International Office website: http://www.nuigalway.ie/international-students/country.html
Additional RequirementsNext start dateNFQ level
The LLB offers all the subjects currently required for the entrance examinations to the legal professions (solicitors and barristers) in Ireland. Further, by choosing certain subjects, students can also become eligible for exemptions in relation to entry to the legal professions in England and Wales. In addition, all students are required to take a core module designed to equip them with critical legal research, writing and presentation skills. Students will also have the opportunity to tailor their studies to their own requirements by choosing optional modules from a long list of options. The programme is offered during daytime hours and may be taken on a full-time basis over three years. To facilitate those with work responsibilities, students may also take the programme on a part-time basis over four years.
Career OpportunitiesMany of our graduates today run successful practices as solicitors or barristers. Other graduates have found employment and advanced their careers in a variety of areas, such as administration, financial services, business, the media, policy development and social work. We have successful alumni in all walks of life all over the world.Who’s Suited to This CourseLearning Outcomes
Find out More
E: firstname.lastname@example.org Damien McCallig | LLB Graduate
The flexibility offered by the part-time mode of the LLB programme was central to my decision to study law at NUI Galway. While challenging, the availability of night-time lectures helped me to successfully combine work and study. Attaining the LLB has enhanced my career options by expanding both my legal knowledge and skills base.
Natalie Dillon | LLB graduate
Following my Arts degree I was unsure of what career path to choose. As I have always had an interest in Law and how it works I chose the LLB. The programme is very flexible and well structured, especially for people who work full or part time. The quality of teaching is outstanding. The genuine interest lecturers have in the subjects they teach translates into very engaging and informative lecturers which encourage students to think critically about issues, an invaluable tool in any area of life. Completing the NUI Galway LLB programme was fundamental to my choice of pursuing a career in law.
About NUI Galway
Founded in 1845, we've been inspiring students for 170 years. NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching.