* Subject to the University's Approval
MA(VAECP) | A1M098 | 1-year Full-time Enquiry Hotline: (852) 2948 7068 / (852) 2948 7139 (852) 2948 7073 B1-1/F-03, The Education University of Hong Kong 10 Lo Ping Road, Tai Po New Territories, Hong Kong
The Visual Arts educational environment is changing at a rapid pace both within formal educational institutions and outside them, and for all educational levels. Driven by many different factors, this is creating new challenges and new opportunities for existing art teachers, lecturers, educators, and creative practitioners. The Master of Arts in Visual Arts Education and Creative Practice (MA(VAECP)) programme is a unique and visionary initiative that draws upon a combination of academic and professional expertise within the Department of Cultural and Creative Arts (CCA) of The Education University of Hong Kong, and whose design reflects the University's combination of specialist knowledge and understanding of Hong Kong's educational environment and contemporary international approaches to education in the creative arts. Encouraging collaboration and interdisciplinary approaches to learning and research, this cutting-edge programme which will prepare students for future careers in visual arts, visual arts education and associated fields.
- Prepare students for future careers in visual arts, visual arts education and associated fields within the context of an expanding and rapidly changing creative arts and educational sector;
- Provide professional level opportunities for artistic development, the cross-fertilisation of ideas and a trans-disciplinary approach to professional practice in the art and educational fields, fostering collaboration, and stimulating entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Enable students to cultivate an advanced knowledge of relevant historical, cultural, philosophical, aesthetic and educational paradigms to support particular career paths;
The MA(VAECP) is a 24-credit point (cp) programme comprising four "Core" courses (15 cps) and three "Elective" courses (9cps), structured as follows:
Core Courses (15cps)
- Research Methods in Artistic Practices (3cps)
- Capstone Project (6cps)
- Critical Perspectives in Contemporary Arts Practices (3cps)
- Collaborative Art-making Practices (3cps)
- Art Criticism and Museum Experience (3cps)
- Arts Management in Hong Kong (3cps)
This MA(VAECP) programme is guided by the University’s Education-plus vision in its planning and development to promote multi-disciplinary learning. The programme aims to provide a unique exploration of the interface between art educational and artistic in the new digital era. It explores the theoretical and practical nexus between these disciplines to provide students with new flexible skill sets and the transferable knowledge they will need to thrive in a rapidly changing field of employment and professional practice.
Medium of Instruction
(a) Applicants should normally hold a recognised Bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualifications.
(b) Applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution in a non-English speaking system should normally fulfill one of the following minimum English proficiency requirements:
- IELTS score of 6.0; or
- Grade C or above in GCSE / GCE OL English; or
- TOEFL score 550 (paper-based test) or 80 (internet-based test); or
- Band 6 in the Chinese Mainland's College English Test (CET) (a total score of no lower than 430 if taken after June 2005); or
- Other equivalent qualifications.
This programme is offered on a self-funded basis. The tuition fee for the whole programme is $120,000 in 2019/20 which is provisional and subject to adjustment. Tuition fees paid are normally not refundable or transferable.