Prizes & contests
The fund was established with the UNIVERSITY to create the SPICER-HENNESSEY SCHOLAR-BURSARY. The intent is to provide the maximum number of awards from the disbursement available each year. The SPICER-HENNESSEY SCHOLAR-BURSARY fund is endowed and used to provide for (a) renewable award(s) according to the following guidelines:
• On the recommendation of the University’s Scholar-Bursary committee, awarded to (a) student(s) entering first year studies in an undergraduate program in either the Manning School of Business or in specified disciplines within the Faculty of Pure and Applied Science (i.e., Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Geology, Mathematics and Statistics, Nutrition and Dietetics, and Physics).
• Recipients must be born in Nova Scotia.
• Demonstrated financial need will be an underpinning component for selection. The University’s means test will be used to determine need.
• Recipients must be graduates of a Nova Scotia High School with honors; and/or at least an average of 85% or higher.
• Preference will be given to graduates of South Colchester Academy in Brookfield or Hants North Rural High School in Kennetcook. If (a) recipient(s) cannot be identified in either of these schools, the University will look to other Nova Scotia high schools for students meeting the Scholar-Bursary criteria.
The scholar-bursary has been established by Fred G. Spicer ( BSC Acadia 1973, MSC Acadia 1975) and Bertha L. Spicer (Hennessey) (BSH Acadia 1973) in tribute of Fred D. (1936 Acadia BSC) and Helen E. Spicer; Basil R. and Flora Hennessey; and Anne Baggs (Spicer) (1968 Acadia BSH).